What is VoIP?
VoIP stands for voice over internet protocol. It creates digital audio signals to transmit telephone calls through the internet connection.
Before you use it, you need to have an “end point” on both ends of the call activated by a compatible hardware or software device. You will also need an operating system capable of supporting the protocol.
It is a standard, but also an implementation to communicate quickly even when internet connection isn’t available.
What are the benefits of VoIP?
Let’s consider some key advantages:
- It doesn’t use up landlines or cellular minutes
- There is no need for physical equipment and telecommunication wires
- You can call international contacts for a fraction of the cost you would normally pay
- It is flexible and useful in both home and business settings
What are the flaws of VoIP?
There is always some risk associated with using technology. Without proper protection, you could become a victim of cybercrime or experience other security breaches.
Some of the key risks associated with VoIP include:
- Hackers can gain access to your calls and conversations
- Your VoIP service could be disrupted by a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack
- Calls could be intercepted by unauthorized individuals
- Your contact list could be stolen or accessed by unauthorized individuals
- VoIP fraud is a real possibility
What can you do to minimize the risks?
There are several things you can do to help protect yourself and your communications. Here are some key considerations:
- Use a strong password and change it regularly
- Keep your devices updated with the latest security patches
- Install antivirus and anti-malware software and keep it up to date
- Only use trusted VoIP providers
- Avoid giving out your personal information or passwords to anyone
- Be aware of phishing scams and other types of online fraud
- Use a VPN (virtual private network) when connecting to the internet
- Only connect to secure Wi-Fi networks
By following these simple tips, you can help minimize the risks associated with using VoIP and keep your communications safe and secure.
Reach out to us to partner with the best business VoIP providers UK.